Friday, August 17, 2012

What Emory Did for Me


          With the news released today of discrepancies within Emory's reporting of data for college rankings, I felt like I needed to blog about the single most important academic institution that has ever been a part of my life: Emory University.Yes, Emory pushed me academically in ways that I never dreamed. By the end of four years, I perfected the 25 page paper, knew how to do any form of research, and could write an exegetical paper in my sleep. More importantly, I learned how to question myself. I began to ask questions instead of assuming. I became confident enough academically to put my best work forward. All of this is because of the wonderfully challenging professors that pushed me to become an academic scholar. However, that is not the best part about Emory and not the reason for this post.         
          Instead, I want to write about what Emory did for me. When I was in high school, I didn't know who I was-- I couldn't find my passion, I couldn't find what I did well, I couldn't find where I belonged. By going to Oxford College and then continuing to Emory's Atlanta campus, I found myself. I found mentors, professors, and students that truly cared about me. I immediately found activities and classes I was passionate about, and I will be forever thankful that Emory gave me the opportunity to explore myself, to figure out my interests, and to move forward on my own path while still being connected to one unified community. 
          I came into Emory not having many high school friends to keep in touch with. I left Emory with hundreds of friends that I know I will keep for a lifetime. I came into Emory unsure of what made me happy. I left Emory getting a Presidential Service Award and Distinguished Service Key from Alpha Phi Omega, Emory's service fraternity that helped me grow in more ways than I can count. I came into Emory an International Studies major because that's what was expected of me. I left Emory an English major heading to Theology school because professors helped me realize that's what I am called to do. But most importantly, I came into Emory not knowing how to lead with integrity, how to be myself, or how to be an example of ethical living. I left Emory knowing that I will never forget how to lead with integrity, how to be myself, or how to be an example of ethical living. 
          Regardless of what happens over the next few months or even years, my Emory University degree is my most prized possession. It's not because it will get me a great job or because it got me into graduate school. Instead, it's what my degree stands for. My degree from Emory stands for my new beginning-- my second chance at finding where I belong. I am a world citizen, a helping hand, an understanding heart, and an ethical leader because of Emory University. That is worth more than all the top rankings in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment